Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Confessions of a Podcast Addict

Recently, I've found myself getting bored with the music in my iPod. Being that I'm surrounded by music everyday and all day, this is not surprising (although a little sad..). Another conflict is the urge to make the most out of the time I am not in classes or studying, but am still busy. Not surprisingly, this boils down to be a larger amount of time than I thought. This includes things like walking to class, working out, washing dishes, cleaning my room, eating, etc., etc. Presented with these two dilemmas, the obvious solution for me was to turn to podcasts, a long lost friend. This began about three weeks ago, and I don't think I've listened to music on my iPod since.

My favorite podcast to listen to is called Vegetarian Food for Thought. It is produced by Compassionate Cooks and is the best podcast out there for vegetarians and omnivores alike who are interested in eating healthfully, decreasing your carbon footprint, and/or animal rights. With over 100 episodes, they really offer something for everybody. Colleen, the founder of Compassionate Cooks, is extremely knowledgable and well-researched. I find myself listening to certain episodes for the third or fourth time and always find something new and inspiring. Her podcast can be found by searching "Vegetarian Food for Thought" in iTunes, or by visiting Colleen's website.

So if you've never listened to this or any other podcast, I highly recommend making the most of those hours spent in limbo - not fully focused on one task, but not relaxing either. I get through 4 or 5 podcasts a day, and they average about 45 minutes each. That's a lot of time spent on free education each day, something we could all use more of.


No comments:

Post a Comment